Alzheimer’s and dementia are some of the scariest and most emotionally triggering degenerative diseases. But they are easier to prevent than we thought. If you have a family history of one of these diseases or are worried about what they may do to you as you age, one of the first things you can do is modify your diet.
10 Foods you should add into your diet that can help improve your mind:
1. Leafy Greens
- Mustard greens
- These foods are high in Folate and B9, which improve cognition and reduce depression.
2. Cruciferous Vegetables
- Bok Choy
- Brussels Sprouts
- These contain folate and have carotenoids that lower homo-cysteine (an amino acid linked with cognitive impairment).
3. Beans and Legumes
- These foods contain more folate, iron, magnesium and potassium that can help with general body function and neuron firing. They also contain choline, a B vitamin that boosts acetylcholine (a neuro transmitter critical for brain function).
4. Whole Grains
- Quinoa rice and pasta
- Gluten-free oats (not cereal)
- Ezekiel whole grains
5. Berries and Cherries.
- These fruits contain Anthocyanin that protects the brain from further damage caused by free radicals. They also have anti-inflammatory properties and contain antioxidants and lots of vitamin C and E.
6. Pumpkin, Squash, Asparagus, Tomatoes, Carrots and Beets
- These vegetables, if not overcooked, contain vitamin A, folate and iron that help with cognition.
7. Omega 3s
- People whose diets contain daily omega 3s have been shown to have 26% less risk of having brain lesions that cause dementia compared with those who do not. These fatty acids help the brain to stay in top shape. You can get your omega fatty acids from fish, flax seeds, olive oil (not safflower) or by taking a good quality omega 3 supplement.
8. Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Peanuts and Pecans
- All of these nuts contain omega-3 and omega-3, Vitamin E, Folate, Vitamin B6 and Magnesium.
9. Sunflower Seeds and Pumpkin Seeds
- These seeds contain Zinc, Choline and Vitamin E.
10. Cinnamon, Sage, Tumeric and Cumin
- Theses spices can all help to break up brain plaque and reduce inflammation of the brain which can cause memory issues. In addition to eating the foods listed above, you’ll want to decrease the risk of illnesses that can make your brain age such as obesity, heart disease, diabetes and hypertension.
Things to Avoid
- Toxins in your Food, Water, Soil and Environment
- Unnecessary stress
Things to Encourage Healthy Decisions
- Positive peer groups
- Clean environment
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- 8 hours of sleep
- Stress management and gratitude